The Interview: Bookbag Talks To Knife and Packer
|The Interview: Bookbag Talks to Knife and Packer|
|Summary: Bookbag enjoyed the silliness in Return of the Chocoholic Vampires and couldn't resist the opportunity to ask Knife and Packer a few questions about it.|
|Date: 20 March 2009|
|Interviewer: Keith Dudhnath|
Bookbag enjoyed the silliness in Return of the Chocoholic Vampires and couldn't resist the opportunity to ask Knife and Packer a few questions about it.
- Bookbag: When you close your eyes and imagine Chocoholic Vampires readers, who do you see?
Knife and Packer: We see a variety of readers. Younger or reluctant readers reading it with their parents, more confident readers taking their first steps in chapter books. Hopefully all enjoying the crazy monsters and ridiculous scenarios!
- BB: Do you prefer creating individual cartoon strips, like It's Grim Up North London, or larger books like Return of the Chocoholic Vampires, and how does the creative process differ with each?
K&P: We really enjoy both. The challenges are quite similar - creating interesting characters and putting them in interesting scenarios. For cartoon strips, the biggest challenge is cramming a story into three boxes. With books we have a lot more room - that’s also a challenge.
- BB: Is it difficult to write for both children and adults?
K&P: No, just a change of pace and with children’s books you can really let your imagination go bonkers.
- BB: Does Dr Brains come up with the invention first, or the acronym?
K&P: The invention, then the longest most ridiculous acronym he can think up.
- BB: We were sorely tempted by the chocolate recipe at the end. What was your biggest chocolate pig-out ever?
K&P: Our dream is to eat a life size chocolate figurine of Michael Morpurgo.
- BB: Which three books should every child read?
- BB: What are you reading at the moment?
- BB: Which book has most influenced you and do you still have a copy?
- BB: Can you rig it for me to win the Private Eye crossword? I do it every fortnight but never seem to win.
K&P: If we could we’d be winning it ourselves!
- BB: What's next for Knife and Packer?
K&P: More cartoons and more books! We are currently finishing Book 2 in the Zac Zoltan series: Hypno Dwarves and the Night of the Living Bed!
- BB: Thanks a lot - we're looking forward to the new book!
Like to comment on this feature?
Just send us an email and we'll put the best up on the site.